I hope you don’t mind if I wish my blog a happy 3rd birthday! Well, it was yesterday but I know she (yes, she is a girl, didn’t you realise?) won’t mind. She’s cool like that. I would’ve posted yesterday but I was out all day having fun – well, kind of…
I met my best friend and her gorgeous baby at Lyme Park where they have a brilliant adventure playground. It was so lovely… until I lost my nearly 5 year old! Longest 20 minutes of my life. We were ready to go, so my friend and I said our goodbyes and then I turned to get my son – my 2 1/2 year old was with me – and he was just gone.
I looped the play area and the woodland area 3 times, each circuit causing my heart to race more. Eventually, in a sweaty, teary and sweary state I had to ask for help and some amazing mums teamed up to help me look for him. I eventually found him a 10 minute walk away poking in a stream, oblivious. I was torn between smothering him with kisses and b*llocking him! I plumped for a bit of both.
Ah, anyway, all part of the Motherhood Experience I suppose. Back to this recipe… I’ve wanted to try the cornflakes as a coating for chicken nuggets thing for ages; not only did it sound like a great idea for crunchiness but they are gluten-free so that’s great as I’m avoiding it at the moment. I’m so glad I finally got around to making them the evening before last; my husband and the kids wolfed these down like they hadn’t eaten for a week. They’ll definitely be making a reappearance soon.
I served them with lovely sweet potato chips, which I’ve been making a lot lately as everyone loves them. Then all that was needed was a dip – I did a homemade BBQ sauce which was appreciated by the kids, but actually they were even more amazing with a quick Sriracha mayo that Adam whipped up for us grown ups.
If you have some clear plastic bags (the ones designed for storing things in the freezer) then use those instead of bowls to cover the nuggets with the coating, as it would be much quicker.
This recipe makes a large amount of chicken and chips. Halve if there is just 2 adults and 2 small kids.
Serves: 6 people
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
4 free-range chicken breasts (or use the same amount of thigh fillets), cut into bite-size pieces
About 200g cornflakes, crushed as fine as you like (by hand or in a processor)
3 free-range eggs
About 200g plain flour
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
Salt and pepper
Wedge of lemon, to serve
Sweet potato chips:
About 6 sweet potatoes, cut into long slim wedges – skin on
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1:3 ratio of Sriracha sauce and good quality mayo
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Toss the sweet potatoes in oil and spices (you will need 2 trays for this amount – halve if needed) and roast for about 25 minutes, turning a few times.
- Get 2 baking trays ready (you’ll have to rotate as I did as this makes 4 trays’ worth).
- Crush your cornflakes and season them with the spices and so on, and have those, the flour, the eggs ready in 3 separate bowls – or bags as suggested above.
- Cut your chicken into bite size chunks. Dip the nuggets into flour first, then egg, then cornflakes. Pop on the sheet with space around it.
- When the trays are ready, bake for 15 minutes (keep an eye, they make take less time on your oven), turning once half way through.
- Serve with a flavoured mayo or similar and a wedge of lemon too.