It has veggie mince in, and that’s a first for this blog. I have to say, I loved it – forgetting completely that it wasn’t normal mince. It’s really healthy too, so that’s a big win. It was really good – a quick and simple, tasty recipe that is appealing to kids as well as adults. You could make it spicier if you fancy by adding chilli flakes or powder in with the spices. Why not add a tin of drained sweetcorn too? Or serve with slices of ripe avocado? Of course, you could make it with beef mince too! It’s really adaptable. Thanks for sharing it Bright Horizons. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have guys…
Here is some more information about Bright Horizons for mums who have kids of that age group and are looking for a childcare provider that values nutrition. Well worth a look, I’m sure you’ll agree…
They have over 200 nurseries in UK and Ireland, providing “exceptional and naturally inspiring” childcare and education for children aged 3 months to 5 years, as well as other services to help parents balance their work and and home life. Here’s what they say about the role specifically of nutrition at their nurseries:
“Within our nurseries, we know how important it is to provide growing children with healthy, appetising meals using a selection of fresh ingredients. Each of our nursery menus is carefully planned, in consultation with professional nutritionists, and offer children opportunities to experience different foods and develop healthy eating patterns. Most important of all, meal times for all ages, are seen as an enjoyable, relaxed time and encourage children to come together and learn how to be a part of a group and this teaches them valuable skills.”
Isn’t that great? I’d be so happy to send mine to a Bright Horizon nursery. It’s fab to know that they are taking nutrition so seriously. They have open days running from Nov 23rd – 27th so why not check out if they have a branch near you?
Now, excuse me whilst I get back to my burrito…
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1 cup full of brown rice
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
300g veggie mince (I used Quorn), used straight from frozen
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons of tomato puree
1 big splash water (1/4 pint or so)
Salt and pepper
6 soft flour tortilla wraps
To serve (optional):
Grated mature cheddar
- Put your rice on first. Rinse 1 cup of brown rice (a small mug is fine or a half pint glass) and add 2 cups of cold water to a pan, cover and bring to boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook until all the water has been soaked up. It’ll be about 20 minutes or so.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan that also has a lid. Soften the onion and garlic. Add the veggie mince – straight from frozen is fine. Let it cook for a minute or two.
- Add the diced peppers and the spices too. Allow to soften, stirring often.
- Now for the tomato puree and water. Stir well and pop the lid on. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
- Grate some cheese and pop some sour cream in a bowl. Take these to the table, along with the wraps (heat these for 20 seconds in the microwave just before serving).
- When your rice and your mixture are both ready, take both pans to the table also.
- Allow everyone to make their own burritos. Be careful not to overfill – as I always do!!
>> Check out more vegetarian recipes!
Disclaimer: this is a sponsored post, as such I was paid to post it. All opinions are my own. All the links are no follow as per Google guidelines.