This year why not treat the whole family to a homemade Christmas baked and glazed ham? It’s one of those things that looks way harder than it actually is. And nowadays most hams don’t even require soaking (or even bringing up to the boil and discarding the water as I used to do). It’s a real showstopper, and fantastic as part of a buffet. We usually eat it with the main event meal too, if there’s any left!
By the way, be sure to subscribe to Channel Mum’s Christmas Sorted playlist for lots of amazing, easy tips from normal mums for making Christmas even more amazing this year. Video below too!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 35 minutes
2.5kg ham, unsmoked, boneless
2 tbsn brown sugar
1 tspn mixed spice
1 tbsn maple syrup
1 tbsn English mustard
About 30 cloves
- There’s no need to soak with most hams but do check this with your butcher. Preheat your oven to 160C.
- Make a foil tent with the meat inside. (See video.)
- Roast for 1 hour 50 minutes.
- Take out and increase oven heat to 220C. Unwrap ham and drain off juices – reserve as they are great for enhancing soup.
- Score strips on skin and peel away, leaving as much fat on the ham as you can.
- Cut diamond shapes (ish) and stud with cloves.
- Mix mustard and maple. Paint on.
- Mix spices and brown sugar. Pat on. Back in tin, but uncovered now.
- Roast for 25 – 30 minutes on high.
- Take out and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes. Again, reserve juices.
- Serve cold as part of a buffet or warm as a roast.