Even though these are Christmassy gingerbread men, of course you could make them anytime! My daughter would ask on a daily basis to make these, and they are so much fun to make – the resulting little biscuits are so much better than the rubbish ones you buy in coffee shops that taste of nothing. You could very creative and go mad with the decorating. As you can see, I am no icing expert – mine are positively messy! But that kind of adds to the charm!
Don’t forget to watch the video below too!
Makes: about 35-40
Prep time: 10 minutes (plus 1 hour to chill)
Cook time: 12 minutes
Total time: 22 minutes
- 350g plain flour
- 150g butter, cold, cubed
- 150g light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- Pinch salt
- Stuff to decorate – whatever you fancy!
- Sieve flour and powders, spices and salt into large bowl.
- Add butter and rub in to make ‘breadcrumbs’.
- Sieve sugar in and mix.
- Add egg and syrup. Make a dough with your hands – chill for an hour in fridge. It’s tricky but as long as you bring it together it’ll be fine once chilled.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Work the dough to make it pliable. Then roll out and cut shapes – about 1cm thick.
- Bake for 12 mins at 180C.
- Let cool on tray and then decorate!