This is one of my favourite posts of recent weeks. I just love a breakfast recipe; there is something so joyful about them! They remind me of of lazy days, PJs still on, no school or work… that said, this really was easy, so you totally could make this on a school day. But not on one of those rushed ones… maybe one day when you miraculously wake early. I have them sometimes, not often, but occasionally.
I’ve called this a breakfast burrito but it would make a fab quick lunch or dinner. It is so simple, and so satisfying. You do need to get quality ingredients to really make it sing. Fresh organic eggs, high quality sausage meat – and good, strong mature cheddar (mild will simply not do here!). I used Barber’s Vintage Reserve Cheddar, which was incredibly tangy – perfect for this.
You can really change this up, too. You could add onions and chopped peppers at the start before the sausage meat. And serve it with whatever takes your fancy – as you can see, I served mine with avocados and Tabasco sauce. Also – if you are skipping bread (or a member of the group is) then the mixture is damn tasty on it’s own, without a wrap!
You could even make it ahead and warm up when needed. I enjoyed it for my lunch today so it would normally be warmed up for dinner later, but as the small people are at a last minute play date, I’m going to reheat it gently and serve it for a quick breakfast tomorrow.
Barber’s Cheese asked me to come up with a recipe using their cheese, and this is what I chose. It was tricky, as there are so many great things to make with cheddar in. If you fancy a go at recipe developing with cheddar, then why not enter their competition? Be sure to use as much local produce as possible, and if they like it, it could be published in their #BarbersCookbook! Fame at last!
Makes: enough for 4 people
Takes: About 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 350g sausage meat (or sausages, meat squeezed from skin)
- Handful of spinach
- 4 eggs
- 100g mature cheese (I used Barber’s)
- Tablespoon of fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 4 wholemeal wraps
- Cherry tomatoes
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan. Add the sausage meat and fry until cooked and browned a little. About 10-15 minutes.
- Add spinach and stir until JUST beginning to wilt. Stir through and remove from pan. Set aside.
- Add beaten eggs and scramble until barely set. Add meat and spinach back in – also the cheddar – and fold gently. You don’t want a mash up! It’s nice to see the individual elements.
- Serve on a warmed up wrap (simply micro them for 15 seconds) with any extras. Wrap up and enjoy!
Disclaimer: This is a paid post for Barber’s Cheese. All opinions are my own and all links no follow.