I hate to waste food. You know that if you stop by here often. If there are bits and bobs in the fridge then I will use them up, somehow. You know that hen do I went to a few weeks back? The one where I brought back loads of cheese from (and made a Veg packed mac and cheese). Well I also brought back some jars of antipasto. Aldi do them really well, those roasted artichokes, peppers, sundried tomatoes etc.
I was craving a tart, with homemade pastry (by all means do use shop bought as it’s quite a faff making pastry). So I chucked it all together and this lovely thing was the outcome. I have to admit, as I always do on here if it’s the case – Arthur didn’t like it. Too much obvious veg activity in there I think! Bea didn’t mind it one bit and ate quite a lot.
It’s so frustrating when one of the kids (or both, that happens too) won’t eat their dinner. I recently have discovered some fab new Instagram feeds featuring really fab mums making their little ones lovely wholesome food. Oh how I wish mine still ate like that! Arthur is just going through a fussy stage. Think it’s his age (he’s just 7). He still eats a wide range of things though, and I can get veg into him – by hiding it. But still, I remember the days when he loved all veg, and all fish and seafood! Just goes to prove that many kids just go through the fussy stage – no point beating yourself up!
Makes: enough for 8 people
Takes: 1 hour
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons (approx) of sour cream or creme fraiche
- Handful roasted peppers, chopped roughly
- Handful artichokes, chopped roughly
- Handful sundried tomatoes, chopped roughly
- About 75g feta, crumbled
- Fresh basil, few leaves, torn
If making pastry:
- 225g plain flour
- 100g butter, cubed
- Pinch salt
- Water, to mix
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a flan tin, 23cm approx.
- Make pastry (or use shop bought). Roll out over flan tin, prick with fork, trim edges and using baking beans or similar, bake blind for 20 mins.
- Remove beans. Whisk eggs and sour cream together, add roasted veggies and antipasto, cheese, herbs and seasoning. Mix well and fill up tart.
- Bake for about 25 mins or until no longer wobbly in the centre.