Hello everyone! I feel the need to actually make the effort to say the words “Hello” as I don’t see you much around these parts of late. I used to pop up so regularly in your feed that I didn’t need to say hi; it was like an ongoing conversation, mainly one sided possibly, but a constant of sorts. Recently, I have kind of changed my approach to blogging, in that I’ve taken a step back which I do sometimes, and only posted when I wanted to or had something to write about. I have stopped snapping every dinner and maniacally uploading it. See, after a while I lost my mojo for that. It happens. Even if you love something, doing it most days for 6 years takes its toll!
So anyway, I have mixed up my last few posts, and that’s what I want to do going forward. After all this is my space and it can be whatever I want it to be can’t it? That’s the good thing about blogging. I don’t have much news to report since we last spoke. Well, I am still alcohol free! I might do a video about that soon as quite a few people have asked about it. It’s the best, most profound change I have ever made to my life – by an absolute mile – but I have so much to say about it I won’t bore you all with it here – if I put it in a video then you can decide if it’s of interest and watch along. (I do want to sing it from the rooftops though, as living alcohol-free really is bloody brilliant.). Feel free to message me privately about it if you want to – I am very willing to share my advice about making the change.
What else…??? Oh, I have been writing. As in, proper, actual writing. I have written like a madwoman in the morning after dog walks until lunch, on days when I can – time hurtles along so fast and I find it hard to leave the laptop once I get going. Loving it. It is a story that I started over a year ago then my confidence took a dive and so did my motivation. Well, since I quit the booze that has all returned! Yeah, so maybe that will turn into something one day…
This dish… I made it last night and quickly thought oh that’s one to share – it’s a great way to use up Christmassy leftover bits and bobs. Swap ham for turkey, cooked sprouts for raw (I just happened to have some in the fridge). And also I lobbed random bits of leftover cheese board cheeses in too: Stilton, Brie, Lancashire, cheddar and Parmesan I think – but just use whatever you have in.
Get this: Arthur ate Brussels sprouts without realising it!! Beatrix blurted it out at the table and I had to tell her to zip it (then apologised as I was a bit rude) but I was so pleased that a green leafy vegetable was entering his gob I wanted nothing to ruin it.
All amounts are approximate; it’s more the idea that works well… hope you are all keeping well!
Makes: enough for 6
Takes: about 30 mins
- 400g macaroni pasta (or any other pasta will do)
- Bunch spring onions
- Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Handful of chopped up cooked ham
- 200g shredded raw Brussels sprouts (or use cooked, chopped up)
- Tablespoon butter
- Tablespoon flour
- Handful parsley
- Several handfuls of chopped or grated cheeses
- Large splash milk
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Put the past on to boil – I used a kettle full – and then you will be using this water as the liquid to add later… boil pasta until al dente.
- Heat oil and soften garlic then spring onions. Add ham and sprouts and soften if using raw (it won’t take long) for a few minutes.
- Add butter and let it melt. Then add flour and stir to combine. Now tip in the pasta along with the water (if you feel it’s too much then drain some off first).
- Stir well, add the parsley and cheese and taste. If you didn’t add much pasta water you may need a splash of milk to loosen. Season generously and grate Parmesan on top.
- Bake in a hot oven for 20 mins.